Call for Art: Sur/Real exhibition
Paint Creek Center for the Arts is now accepting submissions for the upcoming exhibit, Sur/Real, scheduled to open on Saturday, April 1, 2023.
Sur/Real is an open group display opportunity, aimed at presenting original works depicting landscapes, both real and imagined, created by emerging and established artists.
Submissions for the Sur/Real exhibition are due Sunday, February 5, 2023.
Exhibit Entry Requirements
- Open to Michigan resident artists, ages 16 and older.
- All entries must be original hand-crafted work, designed and executed by the accepted artist.
- Work should have been completed within the last five years (not before 2019).
- Accepted mediums: most 2d and 3d mediums including, but not limited to, ceramic, collage, digital art, drawing, fiber and fabric, metal, mixed media, painting, photography, printmaking, wood. No video or audio work will be accepted.
- Work that has been included in previous PCCA exhibits will not be accepted and should not be submitted for consideration.
- No kit works or commercial reproductions of any kind allowed.
- Avoid submitting artwork larger than 5’ high by 5’ wide. PCCA is only able to accept a very limited number of large works.
- Artwork must be submitted through the online application form to be considered. PCCA will not accept walk-ins or deliveries of work for consideration.
- Special consideration is given to PCCA Members, but membership is not required to participate. Membership does not guarantee acceptance into PCCA exhibits.
- Please limit your submissions to your best 3 pieces. Where artists exceed 3 entries, PCCA will only jury the first 3 submitted (based on timestamp).
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WORK
Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM on February 5 for consideration. Late applications will not be accepted.
Artwork must be submitted through the online entry form and require the following information for each piece submitted:
- Your/Artist Name
- Title of work
- Dimensions in inches following Width x Height x Depth (if framed, please include the final framed size!)
- Year work was created
- Retail Price (insurance value if Not for Sale. If Not for Sale, please note this!)
Whenever possible, art files should be titled with your last name and the name of the work to avoid any confusion when work is digitally archived. (example: instead of: “IMG4427.jpeg” name the file “LastName_ArtworkTitle.jpeg”)
Submissions will be juried by PCCA’s current exhibition committee. Committee members review all entries via slideshow and submit their individual scores by piece. Artwork is randomly presented in the slideshow, with the following information displayed alongside the image: title, size, medium, price/nfs, member status, artist statement. Once all scores have been submitted, an equal number of “surreal” and “real” submissions, with an average score of 3.5/4 or higher, will be accepted into the display.
PCCA reserves the right to reject artwork upon delivery that does not reflect the artwork that was selected in the jury process. PCCA reserves the right to photograph work on display for use in promotions of the exhibit and for future promotional materials for PCCA.
The artist is responsible for bringing work to PCCA, picking work up, or for covering shipping costs.
PCCA retains 30% commission on sales of artwork sold by Artists who are PCCA Members, and 40% for non-members.
From PCCA’s commission rate, PCCA: staffs, maintains and insure the exhibit, provides all display and promotional marketing materials, as well as collects, reports, and pays all sales tax.
Artists will be notified of acceptance via email only on February 17th by end of day. If your work is accepted, you will receive an acceptance letter (email body) along with an artist packet that includes a contract for display, exhibit inventory sheet and Michigan w9. These documents must be completed and returned to PCCA no later than the time of artwork delivery.
All accepted works must arrive to PCCA between February 20th and March 22nd. Work that does not arrive by the March 22nd deadline will not be included in the exhibition.
Artists must bring only accepted work to the gallery for the exhibition. PCCA will not accept or display any work that was not part of the jury process for selection.
PCCA follows a strict NO WET WORK policy for exhibitions. Accepted artwork must be ready for display at drop off. Wet paintings, frames without hanging wire, wet clay, etc., will not be accepted by PCCA staff and will be turned away. Please contact [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns about displaying your accepted artwork.
Unsold artwork will be available for pick up by the artist or artist’s representative beginning May 1st through May 7th. Any work that is not claimed 30 days after the final day of the exhibition may be considered abandoned and become the property of PCCA.
For more information, please contact [email protected]